The so-called Luther Rooms at the fortress are a memorial to this stay. Today, the rooms contain portraits of the Reformer and his wife, painted by Lucas Cranach the Elder, as well as pictures, etchings, coins and medals that illustrate the events of these months, which were so fundamental to religious history.
The central exhibit is “Hedwig's Cup” from the 12th century, which belonged to Elizabeth of Thuringia and later contained her relics. Finally, it became part of the treasure of religious objects in Wittenberg. After the collection was dissolved, it came in the possession of Martin Luther
Soon after Luthers death, visitors came to Coburg in order to see “Doctor Luther's rooms”. In the 19th century, the remembrance of the Reformer's stay gained increasing significance for the self-conception of the house of Saxony-Coburg. In 1844, in the context of the historicized refurbishment of the Veste, a heavily decorated “Reformer's Room” was built, which has partly been preserved and can be visited. When the last reigning Duke, Carl Eduard, took up his rule in 1905, his citizens presented him with the renovation of the Castle Chapel, which came to be called “Luther Chapel”.
Art collections of Veste Coburg
The art collections of Veste Coburg include weapons and suits of armour, hunting gear, carriages and sleighs, an extensive collection of glass objects, and other arts and craft items from the Renaissance to the present age. Old German art is also on display: eminent sculptures and paintings, including numerous works by Cranach and one creation by Grünewald. The Fortress's Print Room houses one of the largest collection of prints in Germany.