Skip to main content

Home of Luther's comrade-in-arms

Melanchthon's living room and office
Melanchthon's living room and office (Photo: Stiftung Luthergedenkstätten in Sachsen-Anhalt)

Philipp Melanchthon, the professor and Protestant reformer, purchased a house in Wittenberg’s Collegienstraße in 1520, shortly after his wedding. Over the years, the building fell into disrepair.

The Elector donates a new roof

In order to keep Melanchthon at the university, John Frederick, Elector of Saxony, gave Melanchthon a new house. It was built in 1536, is three storeys high, and is among the most beautiful of Wittenberg’s remaining Renaissance houses. 

The new house offered space for his family and the opportunity to take on students as paying guests. The students' coats of arms – to be seen on the walls of the second storey – were created at that time. 

Wittenberg's most beautiful Renaissance building

Interactive exhibition
Interactive exhibition (Photo: Stiftung Luthergedenkstätten in Sachsen-Anhalt)

Prussia purchased the building in 1897 and provided the first storey with reconstructions of the scholar’s study and the room where he died. The house was completely modernised in 1996 and 1997 – before that time, it had in part been used as a museum of local history. The new permanent exhibition took a motto created by Melanchthon – ‘Ad Fontes’ (‘Back to the sources!’) – as its title. In order to increase the amount of exhibition space, the museum will again undergo construction in 2010 and 2011 and then reopen in September 2011.