The building was built by the Augustinian Hermits from 1504 to 1507. Luther lived and worked here from 1508 until his death; following their marriage in 1525, Katharina von Bora joined him here. She gave her husband the ‘Katharinenportal’ (Catherine’s door) for his fifty-seventh birthday. The heirs sold the house to the University of Wittenberg in 1564. The Lutheran seminary began to use the building in 1816; in 1834, a charity school was set up on the ground floor. The Luther House has been used as a museum since 1883.
Permanent exhibition about Luther's life in Wittenberg
The biographical presentation on the ground floor and first floor offers a concise overview of Luther's biography, with a focus on the years 1512-45. Aside from a few exceptions, the exhibition contains only original objects from the sixteenth century. Highlights include Luther’s pulpit from the parish church (St. Mary’s) and a monk’s habit, which he could have worn at the Diet of Worms. The Luther room provides the centrepiece of the tour; for the most part, it was left in its original form after the house was sold to the university in 1565.