The City and Parish Church of St. Mary in the Luther City of Wittenberg was the church where Luther preached. It is closely connected to the events of the Reformation in Wittenberg. Here, Holy Mass was celebrated in German for the first time, and the Lord's Supper was first distributed to the parishioners “in both forms”, as bread and wine. The City Church is therefore regarded as “Mother Church of the Reformation”.
Oldest building of the city
The parish church of St. Mary was first mentioned in a document from 1187. It is therefore the oldest building of the city. The former interior was almost completely destroyed during the iconoclasm in 1522. For that reason, Martin Luther returned from the Wartburg to Wittenberg and delivered his famous “Invocabit” homilies in order to bring the unrest to an end. In 1523, Johannes Bugenhagen was elected as the first Protestant minister of the City Church.