The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul is the place where Martin Luther was baptised. The foundation for the present building was laid in 1486. Before that time, a smaller edifice had been situated at the same place, but its appearance is unknown. It is certain, however, that on November 11th, 1483, the day Luther was baptised, the mighty church steeple had already been erected. Its spire was remodelled in 1566, when it received the roof hood that is seen today. At the beginning of the 16th century, the construction work of both the outside and the inside of the late Gothic hall church with three naves was finished.
Since then, the interior has been changed several times In the choir vault we see a piece of the original painting of 1904/05. In 1976-1982, the 19th-century balconies were removed in order to underline the appearance of the late Gothic building.