Skip to main content

Start of the Reformation at the church portal

City Church Wittenberg
Castle Church Wittenberg (Foto: Stiftung Luthergedenkstätten in Sachsen-Anhalt)

„A mighty fortress is our God" - this line from the well-known hymn is written in large letters on the tower of Wittenberg's Castle Church. The author of the song, the Reformer Martin Luther, made the building famous all over the world. It had been newly erected in 1506 on the foundations of the original castle. 

Luther is said to have nailed his famous 95 theses to the door of the main entrance of the Castle Church on October 31st, 1517. Today, this scenery is deemed to be historically uncertain. It is probably part of the legends that emerged after Luther's death. Nevertheless, the image of the church portal remains intrinsically connected to the dramatical development of the Reformation, which has begun here.

Last resting place of the Reformers

After 1490, the Saxonian Elector Frederic the Wise built a new representative castle in Wittenberg. The Castle Church was planned to be the third wing. This richly furnished castle was almost completely destroyed during the turmoils of war in the 18th century. In 1890 it was rebuild in neo-Gothic style, including the 88 metres high tower, which still is a prominent landmark of Wittenberg's skyline.

Martin Luther and his friend Philipp Melanchthon found their last resting places in the church, where their graves can be seen today. The Castle Church belongs to the UNESCO world heritage.

additional information

Tourist-Information Lutherstadt Wittenberg

Schlossplatz 2

06886 Lutherstadt Wittenberg

+ 49 - (0)34 91 - 49 86 10