Foto: André NestlerLuther House in EisenachTo the present day, Eisenach is dominated by its most distinctive landmark: the Wartburg, which rests on a slope over the city. Eisenach and its castle are inseparably linked to Luther's biography. Luther entered the Latin school in Eisenach in 1498. For three years, he lived in the house of the Cotta family – today's Luther House – and earned his room and board as a street singer.
As "Knight George" (Junker Jörg) at Wartburg castle
Luther sang as a choirboy in St. George’s Church and would later preach there several times. At the bidding of Frederick III (the Wise), Elector of Saxony, Luther spent 300 days in the security of the Wartburg Castle in 1521-22; during this time, he translated the New Testament into German.
Photo: Ulrich KneiseLuther's living room in EisenachOne of the best-known Luther legends has been spun around his residency here: while in his study, the Protestant reformer supposedly threw a bottle of ink at the Devil.
Well into the nineteenth century, the Wartburg Castle's legendary ink-spot was proudly displayed and also restored several times. Today, the Luther Monument on the Karlsplatz commemorates the renowned Protestant reformer and his ties to Eisenach.