"A mighty fortress is our God" - this line from the well-known hymn is written in large letters on the tower of Wittenberg's Castle Church. The author of the song, the Reformer Martin Luther, made the building famous all over the world.
The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Eisleben is the place where Martin Luther was baptised. The foundation stone for the present building was laid in 1486. After having been thoroughly renovated and converted, it was re-opened as "Center of Baptism" ("Zentrum Taufe") in 2012.
The Luther House is one of the oldest timber-framed houses in Eisenach. For a long time it was owned by the Cotta family. Martin Luther is said to have lived there during his school days in Eisenach, from 1498 until 1501.
The Luther House in Wittenberg has originally been built between 1504 and 1507 as monastery for the Augustinian eremites. The building in the Collegienstraße became famous became famous as Martin Luther's home.
In 1484, Hans Luder moved to Mansfeld with his wife Margarethe and their son Martin, who had been born in Eisleben in 1483. There, he became a successful smelting and mining entrepreneur. It is very likely that the Reformer spent his childhood on the huge estate acquired by his father.
Martin Luther, who was born in Eisfeld, had lifelong close contact to the county of Mansfeld and travelled to his place of birth several times. He was there in order to settle a dispute when he died in 1546.